Accelerate your career, expand your network, collaborate across disciplines, and explore cutting-edge ideas with unrestricted research funding. Join our community of top researchers addressing the most important questions facing science and humanity.
Application Deadline: October 30th 2020
All CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars receive:
• $100,000 CAD in unrestricted research support over two years. These funds are intended to strengthen their capacity to conduct research. Possible uses include, but are not limited to: research projects, teaching release, trainee support, conference travel, etc.
• Mentorship from a Fellow in their CIFAR research program. Mentors help Global Scholars to integrate into their program, and may provide guidance and insights on areas of interest to the scholar (e.g., research directions, career development).
• Opportunities to apply for time-limited seed funding to support collaboration across disciplines. CIFAR’s Collaborative Research Catalyst Funds motivate and support the launch of high-risk/high-reward interdisciplinary collaborations with other CIFAR Azrieli
Global Scholars or CIFAR Fellows within or across research programs.
CIFAR is seeking to assemble a global cohort. There are no geographic restrictions on who may apply. CIFAR is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI).
To be eligible for this program, you must:
• Hold a Ph.D. (or equivalent).
• Be employed at an institution of higher education or research and be within the first five years of starting a full-time research position that includes responsibility for both conducting an independent research program and supervising/teaching graduate
or postdoctoral trainees.
• Typically, you are an Assistant Professor (or the equivalent in other academic systems).
• Your position must be secure for the duration of the CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar active term (to March 31, 2023).
• Your start date in this position must be no earlier than July 1, 2016. Note that special consideration may be given to those who have taken parental leave or those with exceptional circumstances.
• If you have a pending first full-time position that meets the criteria above and starts no later than July 1, 2021, you are eligible to apply. In this case, you must submit a copy of your letter of appointment with your application.
• NOTE: Postdoctoral fellows are NOT eligible to apply to this program.
– CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars are provided research funding and participate in a CIFAR research program over a two-year term. The term will begin on April 1, 2021 and end on March 31, 2023. At the end of the term, Scholars retain the title ‘CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar’ and are encouraged to remain connected to CIFAR through CIFAR’s Next Generation Initiatives and research programs.
– Scholars receive $100,000 CAD in unrestricted research support. The funds are administered through their home institution and are intended to support their capacity to conduct research. Possible uses include, but are not limited to: research projects, teaching
release, trainee support, conference travel, etc. CIFAR separately covers travel costs associated with attendance at CIFAR meetings.
Attend CIFAR research program meetings (usually 2-3 per year, depending on the program) in Canada and various locations around the world. While at meetings and where appropriate, we encourage Scholars to interact and collaborate with fellow
program members on research areas of common interest to the program.
• ●Attend CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar annual meetings (in-person, usually held in early- to mid-May) and virtual meetings (at various times throughout the year) to participate in interactive, expert-led leadership and communications training and peer networking. We expect that each Scholar will attend two in-person annual meetings, dependent on travel restrictions due to the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic.
• Report on successes and activities annually and where possible and appropriate, interact with CIFAR stakeholders and funders.
• Acknowledge CIFAR by using ‘CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar’ in their professional signature and indicating CIFAR as an affiliation. Scholars should also Acknowledge CIFAR as a funder in research publications, presentations, and media interviews supported by this program’s funding.
. APPLICATION PROCESS
CIFAR accepts CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar applications annually. This year’s application cycle opens on September 1, 2020. Applications must be submitted online, using the application form provided at: cifar.ca/global-scholars.
As an applicant, your research is expected to complement or contribute to the themes and goals of an eligible CIFAR research program, listed below. If you wish to apply to more than one program, you must complete a separate application for each program.
In 2020/2021, the CIFAR research programs eligible to accept applications are:
• Boundaries, Membership & Belonging
• Brain, Mind & Consciousness
• Earth 4D: Subsurface Science & Exploration
• Fungal Kingdom: Threats & Opportunities
• Humans & the Microbiome
• Innovation, Equity & the Future of Prosperity
For More Information: