Application Deadline: June 15th 2020
PASET Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund PhD scholarships 2020
The Partnership for skills in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (PASET) is an African-led initiative with the goal of strengthening skills in the Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology to further socio-economic transformation in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). The Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF) is the flagship program of PASET. RSIF focuses on transformative technologies that have a far-reaching positive impact on society. It is funded by contributions from African governments, the World Bank and the Government of Korea and facilitated by the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe) in Nairobi, Kenya.
RSIF aims to train quality PhD students and post-doctoral researchers at selected African universities (‘African Host Universities’) to address the human resource gap of highly qualified specialists in the fields of applied sciences, engineering, and technology (ASET) and to contribute to improving research and innovation capacities in those fields in SSA. RSIF also supports the strengthening of research and innovation ecosystems at the African Host Universities by providing funding through competitive grants.
RSIF supports training, research and innovation in five PASET Priority Thematic Areas: (1) ICT including big data and artificial intelligence, (2) Food security and agri-business, (3) Minerals, mining and materials engineering, (4) Energy including renewables and (5) Climate change.
The specific objectives of RSIF are to:
- Create a stock of highly skilled scientists, professionals and innovators in ASET areas.
- Identify and nurture young talented Africans who wish to further their studies in ASET fields where expertise is needed most.
- Address imbalances in the number of women and disadvantaged groups in ASET fields in Africa.
- Build African university capacity to provide relevant ASET training and to ensure continued investment in scaling up the ASET education and workforce.
About the PASET RSIF PhD Scholarship Program
- RSIF PhD Scholarships are open to candidates interested in receiving international-quality PhD training.
- The duration of the PhD Scholarship is 3 to 4 years, including 6-24 months ‘sandwich’ placement at an international partner university, research institute or private company.
- Priority for the scholarships will be given to women and existing young academic faculty who do not have a PhD.
- RSIF scholarships will be awarded in September 2020.
RSIF PhD Scholars will receive the following benefits:
- The RSIF PhD Scholarship covers university tuition and related fees, competitive stipend to cover living expenses, travel, medical insurance, and research costs.
- RSIF PhD scholars will be supported to spend 6-24 months in a ‘sandwich’ training at an international partner university, research institute or private company.
- RSIF PhD scholars become part of a growing network of emerging leaders in ASET fields in Sub Saharan Africa.
- RSIF PhD scholars will have access to RSIF competitive research grants upon completion of their PhD.
Get Your News on Wundef.com
Send us your stories/news and articles to firstname.lastname@example.org or through whatsapp, +233247516850.