Osei Kwame Despite is one of the most successful businessmen in Ghana. Despite owning a lot of radio stations and a TV station, little is known about the business mogul. Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about Osei Kwame Despite.
- Osei Kwame Despite was born in 1962 at Agona Wiamoase in the Ashanti region.
- Affectionately called Osei Kwame Despite, he started life as a petty trader, dealing in music cassettes, padlocks, feeding bottles and other merchandise at Dunkwa-Offinso.
- After years of painful struggle in the village to make it in life, he joined other friends to seek greener pastures in Lagos, Nigeria but returned to Ghana in 1983 when Nigeria expelled two million undocumented West African migrants, half of whom were from Ghana. He returned with only a chainsaw machine and a trident cassette player.
- After returning from Nigeria, he went into timber business but his chainsaw machine broke down and he went back to his cassette business
- His breakthrough came in 1999 when he started Peace FM.
- Kwame Despite is a lover of cars.
7. Members of the Despite Group of Companies (DGC) incorporated include U2 Company Limited (Iodated Salt Production), Neat Foods Company Limited (which produces and markets NEAT Fufu, NEAT Banku, NEAT Abenkwan, NEAT Hausa Koko, NEAT Diary Products)
8. Osei Kwame Despite owns radio stations across the country, top radios like Okay FM, Neat FM, Peace FM among others.
9. The business magnate also owns a TV station in Ghana, UTV.
10. He donated a police station building to Wiamoase in the Ashanti region.