Applications are open for the British Institute East Africa (BIEA) Graduate Attachment Scheme 2020/2021. BIEA graduate attachments offer recent graduates, with an interest in further studies in Africa, the opportunity to gain research experience and develop their networks.
Deadline: June 30, 2020
The July 2020 to June 2021 BIEA graduate attachment scheme will take up to nine successful applicants. Due to COVID-19 and associated social distancing and travel restrictions, the scheme will consist of online research and activities until further notice. This will include one-to-one and group meetings via Zoom.
Successful applicants will be involved in three types of work while with the BIEA:
- Gain practical experience of conducting research by working with a named researcher on one, or a number of, innovative historical, archaeological and anthropological projects on eastern Africa;
- Undertake their own research with the assistance of a named mentor usually leading into developing a plan for a Masters or PhD. The attachment involves the presentation of a paper in the BIEA Completion Webinar Series upon some aspect of the research they have carried out during their time at BIEA.
- Assisting with the administration of the BIEA including online reading groups focused on key texts in African studies, and online workshops and seminars.
- In addition, the BIEA will offer free weekly online Swahili lessons that graduate attachés can join.
- Graduate attachés will be given an allowance of 1,000 GBP for the three months of the attachment to help pay for food, research expenses and internet access.
- The attachés will have to provide receipts for their expenses amounting to their total allowance (small food purchases can be written down weekly in a receipt book/ledger).
- Applicants will need a strong academic record, some experience of studying/researching Africa, and a clear interest in developing your own research.
- You should also be able to show significant initiative and be equally adept at working alone or as part of a larger online team.
- You should be ready to offer enthusiastic assistance for various research projects and data analysis.
- Graduate attachés can start between July 15, 2020 and January 1, 2021.
To apply, applicants should send a CV and Cover Letter to [email protected] explaining how participation in the scheme will assist the development of your career. You will need to arrange for two academic references to be sent directly to the BIEA via [email protected]
For more information, visit BIEA Graduate Attachment Scheme.