Applications for the Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program 2020/2021 are now open. The Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program provides faculty or international liaison officers/managers, from the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), with short-term exchange opportunities for professional development, graduate study or research at Canadian post-secondary institutions.
The scholarship value varies depending on the duration and level of study. The scholarship value for recipients is:
- CAD 2,700 for faculty members for two to three weeks of course work or research as part of their professional development;
- CAD 2,700 for international directors, managers or administrators for two to three weeks of course work, or for a practicum in the area of internationalization of post-secondary institutions or student mobility as part of their professional development; or
- CAD 9,700 for faculty members for five to six months of study or research at the graduate level.
In addition to the funds allocated to the recipients by DFATD, the Canadian host institution may also claim CAD 500 per scholarship recipient to assist with administrative costs once the scholarship recipient arrives in Canada.
- Candidates must be citizens of one of the following eligible CARICOM countries: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos.
- Candidates who have obtained Canadian citizenship or who have applied for permanent residency in Canada are not eligible;
- Candidates already participating in an exchange scholarship program funded by the Government of Canada are not eligible;
- Candidates already enrolled in a degree or diploma program at a Canadian university or college are not eligible; and
- Candidates must be employed full-time as faculty or as international managers/administrators at a recognized higher education institution in an eligible country at the time of application and for the full duration of the exchange.
- interested in this scholarship program should first contact their home institution;
- must provide a letter of intent that describes the nature of their research or studies to be undertaken, that explains the rationale for study in Canada and for the choice of institution, program and supervisor, and that indicates how the proposed program of study or research will relate to their future career; and
- do not apply on their own behalf.
- are responsible for identifying strong academic candidates who meet the admission requirements for the Canadian partner institution and providing the candidates’ documents to the Canadian partner institution.
- must apply on behalf of the candidate(s) by submitting the online application form and uploading all supporting documents prior to the deadline;
- may submit multiple applications and may be asked to rank their applications, based on their strategic priorities;
- should identify a single person responsible for the administration of the program; and
- should instruct faculty or staff members who are submitting an application to notify the person responsible for the administration of the program at their respective institution as the institution may be requested to rank multiple applications.
How to Apply
Canadian institutions must:
- Complete an online application for each candidate.
- Institutions which do not have an account will first need to Register an account.
- Once the account is created and activated, they will need to log in. Under “For Non-Canadians” section, scroll down to the Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program and click on Apply Now.
- Enter data in the fields marked mandatory, following instructions for each item, or copy and paste it from another source. Note that:
- the name of the candidate must be exactly the same as it is on their passport; and
- the official name of the candidate’s home institution must be provided in their national language.
- Upload all required supporting documents.
- Upon completion, verify the data prior to submission.
- Print the form for their records using the print function in the browser.
- Click SUBMIT to send the form electronically to the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD). The institution will receive a confirmation message and reference number once the form is submitted.
For more information, visit Canada-CARICOM Faculty Leadership Program.