Application Deadline: 27 May 2020.
Future Leaders – African Independent Research (FLAIR) Fellowships are for talented African early career researchers who have the potential to become leaders in their field. These fellowships provide the opportunity to build an independent research career in a sub-Saharan African institution and to undertake cutting-edge scientific research that will address global challenges facing developing countries.
The objectives of this scheme are to:
- Support talented early career researchers to establish an independent research career in African institutions.
- Enable high-quality research that addresses the global development challenges faced by the African continent.
- Provide world-class support, training, mentoring and networking opportunities to benefit early career African researchers.
You can apply for this scheme if you:
- Are a national of a sub-Saharan African country;
- Hold a PhD by the time you apply;
- Are an early career researcher with a minimum of two years of research experience since completing your PhD and no more than eight years of post-doctoral research experience;
- Wish to hold the fellowship in a research institution in an Official Development Assistance (ODA) eligible sub-Saharan African country;
- Have a clearly defined scientific research proposal focusing on one or more of the Global Challenge areas outlined in the scheme notes.
This scheme provides an award of up to £150,000 per year for two years in the first instance, covering:
- Research Fellow’s salary, up to £45,000 per year.
- Research expenses
– Research assistance
– Equipment costs
– Travel expenses
– Research consumables
- Institutional overhead, up to £15,000 per year
The scheme also provides a programme of support and development, including:
- Training courses
- Opportunities for international collaboration
- Networking opportunities regionally and internationally