The grant can cover only for the applicant up to 5,000 USD
The IMU – Simons African Fellowship Program is funded by the Simons Foundation, NY, USA and supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from African developing countries employed in Africa to travel to an internationally known mathematical center of excellence (worldwide) for collaborative research. All travel and living expenses of the grantees will be covered by the fellowship up to 5,000 USD.
The Simons Foundation is a private foundation based in New York City, incorporated in 1994 by Jim and Marilyn Simons. The Simons Foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences. They sponsor a range of programs in the sciences, including grants programs in mathematics and the physical sciences. The primary focus of the foundation’s Mathematics and Physical Sciences division is the theoretical sciences radiating from mathematics: in particular, the fields of mathematics, theoretical computer science and theoretical physics.
Application Deadline:January 15th, 2020
The “IMU – Simons African Fellowship Program” will run for 5 years until September 2021.
- The program supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from AFRICAN developing countries employed in AFRICA to travel to an Internationally known mathematical centre of excellence/ university (WORLDWIDE) for collaborative research.
- The program is not for any post graduate courses or post doctoral training but for a LIMITED RESEARCH PERIOD.
- The grant covers TRAVEL and BASIC LIVING COSTS of African mathematicians working in Africa (Specifically coming from a developing country, the definition of which is determined by the IMU for all its schemes) during the sabbatical.
The grant can cover only for the applicant up to 5,000 USD:
- Travel costs
- from the place of work of the applicant to that of the host to the extent of economy class airfare. The flight will be booked and directly paid by the IMU Secretariat.
- (Public) transport (surface transport by rail or bus between the nearest city where the airport is located and the headquarters of the
candidate or the city/town where the host institution is located, if necessary). Maximum four (4) Taxi fares (on submission of receipts) may be allowed to travel between the home and the airport/railway station (upon arrival and departure).
- In case the applicant has to stay in a hotel before departure or upon arrival, this needs to be mentioned in the budget details. Maximum one (1) night (both arrival and departure) can be paid from the grant.
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance charges
- Basic living cost (daily allowance based on living cost of the visiting country/city, This amount includes the cost for public transport and all other living costs). For a list please go here. If the accommodation includes breakfast or any other meals, the daily amount will be reduced.
- Accommodation cost in the host country (hotel is allowed if the host provides a statement that no guesthouse or rented flat is available and max. 4 weeks. If you stay longer than 4 weeks you have to rent a suitable apartment or guesthouse). Receipts for cash payments for accommodation costs can not be accepted! You have to pay via a trackable transfer method.
- October 1st, 2019 for research visits between January 15th, 2020 and January 15th, 2021 (Decisions will be made by November 15th, 2019)
- January 15th, 2020 for research visits between May 15th, 2020 and May 15th, 2021 (Decisions will be made by March 15th, 2020)
- April 15th, 2020 for research visits starting between August 1st, 2020 and August 1st, 2021 (Decisions will be made by June 15th, 2020)
- July 15th, 2020 for research visits starting between November 1st, 2020 and November 1st, 2021 (Decisions will be made by September 15th, 2020)
In order to apply please take the following steps:
- Please fill out and submit the online application form for the IMU-Simons Programs.
- Upload all requested documents (two CVs: of the host and the applicant, detailed Research plan,
invitation letter by the host institution, letter by the home institution, tentative budget details in USD) as 1 joint PDf to the Online Application Form.
- A picture of you for our website (upload separately to the Online Application Form) (The picture will be published on our website (like this:
if the applicant is chosen, so PLEASE upload a NICE picture in good quality!)
For More Information: