Job Number: 532308 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Headquarters Locations: United States
Work Type : Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a strong voice
Today there are 1.8 billion young people worldwide who make up a quarter of the world’s population, and up to a third in many sub-Saharan African and South Asian countries. Young people are a massive cohort, with an immense potential to benefit their societies socially, politically and economically. We have a responsibility to recognize the rights of young people and work with them as partners and agents of change for today and tomorrow.
Within UNICEF’s Division of Communication (DOC) the Youth Engagement Team works to strengthen the organization’s capacity to engage young people as advocates and campaigners for children’s rights, through our flagship campaigns and initiatives; and ensure that the perspectives and voices of young people are an integral part of our communications and advocacy.
How can you make a difference?
To ensure effective that young people’s voices and action are elevated, and that young people have innovative and creative opportunities to take action for children’s rights, the Youth Engagement Team seeks a part-time, remotely-based consultant produce content for young audiences and support the management and growth of the Voices of Youth community online.
The expected result is a dynamic Voices of Youth community which registers year-on-year growth, increases collaborations with UNICEF offices, provides creative engagement opportunities for young people, and reaches new audiences.
DESCRIPTION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The consultant will be responsible for:
• Supporting content moderation, community management and content creation across all VOY digital platforms (website and social media).
• Ensuring that VOY content supports the goals of the advocacy campaigns identified as priorities for adolescent and youth engagement.
• As needed, supporting the development of youth engagement events and campaigns; developing, capacity building tools and resources.
REPORTING REQUIREMENTS (IF APPLICABLE)
Standard UNICEF Performance Evaluations will be conducted every 6 months and at end of contract. The performance indicators for evaluation of results will be the quality and timeliness of outputs delivered by consultant.
TRAVEL (IF APPLICABLE)
No travel is expected. In case of unforeseen official business travel, actual cost, including the visa fee, vaccination will be reimbursed in accordance with UNICEF Policy/procedure on official travel.
Start date: 1 July 2020 End date: 15 June 2021
- Daily content moderation and community management for Voices of Youth, including website, Twitter and Instagram accounts 11.5 months : June 2021
- Conceptualizing and implementing content and activations for the Voices of Youth linked to priority issues: 11.5 months June 2021
- Reviewing analytics, preparing reports, adjusting strategy as needed: 11.5 months June 2021
- Identifying partners and supporting the development of proposals. June 2021
- Inputting into reports on special events and activations. 11.5 months June 2021
- Other support for youth advocacy, campaigns and capacity building as needed. 11.5 months June 2020
- TOTAL 11.5 months June 2021
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
KEY COMPETENCES, TECHNICAL BACKGROUND, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
• University degree (Bachelors) in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, International Relations, International Development, or another related field.
• Minimum 3 years relevant experience in community management, developing social media content and writing for digital platforms and media groups, including blogs and web, social media/web analytics and reporting.
• Experienced use of social media management, audience and influencer research, productivity, collaboration and project management tools, such as Hootsuite, Talkwalker, Crowdtangle, Salesforce Social Studio, Socialbakers and others.
• Understanding of current trends among young people, and best practices in social media platforms in both developing and developed regions.
• Experience managing projects, working with remote teams across time zones and cultures.
• Strong skills in communication and strategic planning. Comfortable working independently with flexible hours, and managing one’s own time and responsibilities.
• Ability to juggle competing priorities, whilst maintaining attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
• Fluency in English (both written and verbal) is required. Fluency in Spanish, French or Arabic is considered an asset.
• Experience in graphic design and/or short video editing is considered an asset.
• Experience designing and executing paid marketing and influencer campaigns on social media is considered an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
All consultants and individual contractors are required to certify that they are covered by medical/health insurance. Consultants and individual contractors who are required to travel beyond commuting distance to duty station(s) with hardship ratings other than “H” and “A” shall also certify that their medical/health insurance covers medical evacuations.
UNICEF does not provide or arrange life or health insurance coverage for consultants and individual contractors, and consultants and individual contractors are not eligible to participate in the life or health insurance schemes available to United Nations staff members. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for assuming all costs related to required inoculations, vaccinations and medical examinations and reflect it as part of their bid for the assignment.
ONLY, in case of unforeseen official business travel, actual cost, including the visa fee, vaccination will be reimbursed in accordance with UNICEF Policy/procedure on official travel.
At the time the contract is awarded, the selected candidate must have in place current health insurance coverage and the consultant must provide proof of health insurance.
Consultants and individual contractors are fully responsible for arranging, at their own expense, such life, health and other forms of insurance covering the period of their services as they consider appropriate.
With the exception of the US Citizens, G4 Visa and Green Card holders, should the selected candidate and his/her household members reside in the United States under a different visa, the consultant and his/her household members are required to change their visa status to G4, and the consultant’s household members (spouse) will require an Employment Authorization Card (EAD) to be able to work, even if he/she was authorized to work under the visa held prior to switching to G4.
Please indicate your all-inclusive fees for the services to be provided, in USD per day.
You are advised to take into consideration as part of your bid for the assignment the cost of health insurance.
In addition to the standard documents required as part of the application process, please include 3-4 examples of previous work that is relevant to this consultancy. Examples can include writing samples, videos, social media assets, campaigns.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Opening Date Wed Jun 17 2020 13:00:00 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time) Eastern Daylight Time
Closing Date Mon Jun 29 2020 03:55:00 GMT+0000 (Greenwich Mean Time)