Deadline: July 15, 2020
Applications are open for the Biophilia Poster Competition 2020. Biophilia celebrates the innate connection between humans and nature. The Biophilia Poster Competition welcomes all points of view on this relationship and the competition will conclude with a traveling show of the finalists’ work.
Biophilia is an idea that humans have an innate connection to nature. This connection helps our physical and mental wellbeing. Good biophilic design synthesizes the complexities of modern structures and spaces with design elements that support our health, represented through three broad categories.
- The Direct Experience of Nature: The implication of direct experience with nature refers to first-person human contact with architectural and other environmental features and includes how we feel and see:
- Natural landscapes and ecosystems
- The Indirect Experience of Nature: The implication of indirect experience with nature refers to avatars and representations of nature. including:
- Images of nature
- Natural materials
- Natural colors
- Simulating natural light and air
- Naturalistic shapes and forms
- Evoking nature
- Information richness
- Age, change and the patina of time
- Natural geometries
- The Experience of Space and Place: The experience of space and place refers to spatial features that evoke the natural environment’s systems and complexities including:
- Natural geometries such as fractals
- Organized complexity
- Integration of parts to wholes
- Transitional spaces
- Mobility and wayfinding
- Cultural and ecological attachment to place
- Platinum winner: $2,500 USD
- Gold winner: $1,000 USD
- Silver winner: $500 USD
- Bronze winner: $250 USD
- All participants will receive a Certificate of Participation.
- Everyone is invited to participate and share their point of view on biophilia, regardless of age or nationality.
- All entries must be submitted as digital files first.
- There is no limit to the number of posters you can submit.
All entries need to meet these requirements:
- Created specifically for this competition
- 24″ x 36″ (60.96cm x 91.44 cm)
- Vertical/Portrait only
- JPG or PDF
- CMYK compatible
- 300 DPI print-ready file
- Maximum 10MB
Please submit the file with your name. Example: Smith_Alice_Country_01.jpeg. Each designer may participate with designs developed since January, 2019 that have not received prior awards.
For more information, visit Biophilia Poster Competition.